Yüzotuziki

A Tip:: All posts entitled City - Gün # tend to be full of photos from a weekend trip. The rest of the posts are useless paragraphs, full of my ramblings and random photos.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Yemek (Food)

I assume most people have heard of a lot of the names of Turkish food (Kebap, Baklava, etc.), but I've stumbled upon some others.

A traditional Turkish dessert
This is a photo of Kunefe. Basically, it's a cheese (that tastes like American cheese, sort of), covered in fried wheat, then placed in a pool of sugar syrup. This one is adorned with some crumbled pistachios. It confuses my taste buds severely, to the point that it's not good, nor is it bad.

Additionally, you can see the corner of some fresh squeezed orange juice. They have these machines which squeeze the fruit right in front of you. It costs about $1.50 or so. Sometimes $.90.

A grenade apple
I'd never seen grenade apples before, until we went to Olimpos and there were orchards full of them.
[10/10/05 Edit] In other news, this is not a grenade apple. This is a pomegranate. I have never seen one before. Leave it to Danish to lead me astray :-P

Turkish inspired Doritos
These a la Turca Doritos are Sesame bread and beyaz peynir (a Turkish white cheese) flavored. Very odd. There's also some tomato flavored a la Turca chips.

5 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger h said...

The weird part is that in Turkish, "a la Turca" would be pronounced "ah la Tour-jah" (yes, with a J). I'm slightly puzzled.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger rainmelon said...

You can watch your orange juice by squeezed? That's awesome. I got a picture of vending machines sitting around campus that have fruit dumped into the top every morning, and then when you pay and press the button, it squeezes it for you into a cup. That would be cool.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger h said...

What campus was this?

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger rainmelon said...

No, "I got" as in, "I envisioned" when I was reading your post.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger h said...

Oh, silly me, I can't read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home