Yüzotuziki

A Tip:: All posts entitled City - Gün # tend to be full of photos from a weekend trip. The rest of the posts are useless paragraphs, full of my ramblings and random photos.

Friday, October 07, 2005

İstanbul - Gün 1

Sunrise on Istanbul from the Ferry
Istanbul (the side with Istiklal Caddesi) at sunrise from the Ferry
After having my plans for Mt. Nemrut and Urfa cancelled at the last moment, I tagged along on a journey to Istanbul. We left Thursday night and took an overnight train. I've determined never to take the train again- especially not without a sleeper car. The ride took twice as long, and the lights were never turned out. Upon arrival in Istanbul, we took a ferry from the Asian side to the European side, and checked into our "Chill Out" Hostel and Cafe.

Dorm-style hostel
The place was colorful, but the bathrooms weren't very clean. The definition of a "shower" was a showerhead over a squatting toilet that was never cleaned. Ah, Turkey! So, we changed to a hotel of the same price (about 12 USD a night per person) the next day.

Aya Sofia
The Aya Sofia
Today's agenda consisted of some site-seeing. We visited the Aya Sofia (above), the Spice Market, and the Grand Bazaar. It was quite beautiful, if a bit expensive and tourist-y. The salesmen in the bazaar call to you in as many languages as they can, until you respond. They'll grab you, talk to you, and do anything to grab your attention and pull you into the store.

Aya Sofia Interior
The Virgin Mary with Jesus, and an Islamic decorative circle saying "Allah"
The Aya Sofia was interesting, because of the two religions showing so prominently. There was much restoration being done, but I'm not sure which art they were recovering- the Islamic or the Christian.

Aya Sofia Interior
Yellow, Islamic-folk art beside jewelled Byzantium mozaics

Aya Sofia Window
A view of the Blue Mosque through a window in the Aya Sofia

Aya Sofia Jesus Mozaic
A piece of a mozaic in the Aya Sofia

On the way to meet some of the other exchange students, a man called to Katie and I saying, "Excuse me. Excuse me! You dropped something." We turned around, and he said, "You dropped my heart." So, we turned back around and continued on our way. Hitting on foreign women by using cheesy lines from 80s movies seems to be a national hobby.

Sunsetting on Sultanhmet
The sunset on Sultanhamet
We spent much of the day wandering around and getting lost to/from Sultanhamet. The city seems to be arranged in a way that stores of similar types (i.e. hardware, music, etc.) are all clumped together. Sometimes, we're lucky and stumble upon a residential section where the children are playing in the streets. After a day of much walking, we retired to the Bean Bag chaired cafes on Galata Bridge to watch the sunset.

Sunsetting on Istiklal Caddesi
The sunset on Istanbul (the side with Istiklal Caddesi)

The rest of the night was spent at a restaurant and then a small Reggae dance club.

2 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger h said...

What? With Turkish men hitting on you and trying to rip you off? Each stall selling the same crud?

It's not so magical as it sounds, I suppose.

I think I need to dig around there more.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the Grand Bazaar! I've been there. Big, metal mall, all 2,000 shops are the same, if you buy something then the shopkeeper will insist you go to "my brother's store" or his cousins, or...anything, really. My mom bargained a guy from 200 euro to 75 for a leather jacket. She didn't even mean to, she wasn't going to buy it anyway. hehe.
While walking around, some shopkeeper yelled at me, "Come in my store! You are obviously Israeli! Israeli is good! Buy things!" I kept walking, cause I didn't know he was yelling at me. "If you are not Israeli, then I am Chinese! Come back!"
Very strange. We took a day trip from Greece to Marmaris.
So you've seen the Spice Market, I wanted to see that...
You've seen some incredible things! Your blog entries make me happy. :)
~Shira

 

Post a Comment

<< Home